angeleditsnicole

Angel Edits - Blog

Editing Services for male/male and male/female romance authors.

Capture & Surrender

Capture & Surrender - L.A. Witt, Aleksandr Voinov I'm upset with myself that I didn't figure it out before 22% and pissed at myself that I'm so fragile that I need to DNF this.
Here's the deal folks; The MC in this book is HIV+ and both MC's had lovers who died from AIDS.

I was bedazzled by the military capture kink and just did an autobuy because it's Voinov and I've read the other books and liked them. I gleaned from the reviews it was more serious than the others and I saw that there was a dead lover in the blurb.
I get that people don't want to know too much about a book when they dive in. Blurbs are intentionally vague and these tear jerker sort of books are popular.
I'm just not in a good headspace right now. I wish I could just google it and finish the book with an open mind.

But I'm still mourning over the loss of my Dad's lover of 28 years, who was a father figure to me whether he wanted to be or not.
And just the concept here makes me cry. He didn't die of AIDS but for some reason this feels like a punch in the gut, and then I get embarrassed that I'm grieving so much two years later.

I also didn't read [b:Taking Chances|15739018|Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)|Molly McAdams|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344296221s/15739018.jpg|21424080] or [b:Ruin|18134249|Ruin|Rachel Van Dyken|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1374686324s/18134249.jpg|25473547] for the same reasons..
I can't handle any "live like you were dying" stuff right now.

Anyway, will read reviews more closely from now on and I'm temporarily mad at Aleks Voinov for the suckerpunch. I'll get over it.

Eta: i did make it to 70%, then skipped to the ending. The story never gripped me, perhaps because of the topic, not my thang. Other people seemed to like it and there is a rebirth/acceptance theme that i liked.